Wait less to be weightless.

This last weekend Noah and I went down to the Aumsville skatepark, just south of Salem.

It was a bowl type park, built by Dreamland Skateparks (the guys who build Burnside).

There wasn't a lot of street terrain (stairs/rails/ledges/etc).  It was basically a giant U shaped bowl of half pipes.

But one spot in particular was really fun for me.  There was a huge roll in across from the vert bowl. This meant that I could do an easy roll in and fly up to the vert wall as fast as I wanted to.

This allowed me to start doing kickturns (180's) up in the vertical part of the ramp.

It was really freaky at first as I hit a point of total weightlessness.  But instead of jumping off like I have in the past (which ended up in massive foot injuries), I stuck to my board and trusted that I'm come out of the turn.

Which I did.

I kept bombing at the wall time and time again, trying to see just how high up I could get myself.

I can't explain the feeling of that rush.  It's indescribable.

Flying up a ramp with lots of speed, pumping and pushing from the bottom in order to get as high up as possible, sitting and looking down at a 90 degree angle with the ground, then rolling back in and feeling my stomach drop as I do.

It's so addictive.


Here's a picture, but realize that anytime you see a skateboarding photo, size and scale is lost.


This is an 8' tall wall.  You look up at it and it's at least 2' above your head.


Need some relative scale?


If you were standing in front of the wall, I'd be skating in an arc about a foot above your head.

I could have skated over top of a person in a top hat.



This is like heroin, only far cheaper.


Now that I'm used to this feeling, I'm one step closer to dropping in on vert.  Now that I know what the weightless feeling is like, I'm going to be ready to take the plunge.


Another super fun part of the day was watching Noah skate in the bowls. He's been working hard to get some confidence on his skateboard and when we were at the park he was rolling up the ramps about 1/2 way.  It was actually pretty impressive.


It's good to see his confidence increase. See him conquering his fears.

So often he is controlled by fear and doesn't try things that he really wants to.

I've seen him defeat his fear time and time again at the skateparks.

I don't care if he skateboards or not. It's simply a tool we're using to help him master his fear, and it seems to be working.

Also, another guy there had a long board and Noah was skating around and down hills on it. He really like it.


So, fun day, good times had by all.

And spring has just started.

Posted by jason | at Monday, March 22, 2010

0 comments: